134a Tottenham Court Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Corner Theatre was located in the basement of a building on the corner of 134a Tottenham Court Road and 4 Warren Street, opposite Warren Street tube (underground) railway station. It had two narrow entrances at both these addresses and the auditorium was located in what had formally been a wine cellar.
The Corner Theatre opened on 16th November 1910 and the architect for the conversion was William Bennett of the architectural firm of Bennett & Stratton of Finchley. In November 1911 it changed owners who gave it a new name;Grafton Cinema. It was a second-run cinema and it closed in 1929.
In 1930 it was converted into a small live theatre known as the Grafton Theatre and advertised itself as offering ‘London’s Most Intimate Show’. The Grafton Theatre operated until November 1940. It was then converted into BBC radio studios until 1960.
Today the street level former foyer space is a MacDonald’s restaurant and the former basement auditorium is now used for storage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater