108 S. Green Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Built in 1932 by two former mayors of Tehachapi, the Beekay Theatre provided entertainment for the then sleepy small town. The 312 seat theatre boasted the first neon sign in Tehachapi which graced an attractive poured concrete facade of flutted columns and coffered panels.
The decor was simple and spare, utilitarian in its simplicity. All that was important was the show on the screen. The screen went dark in the late-1970’s. The theatre lost its marquee with a renovation that also clad the Deco style facade in a Victorian false front. The building was used as a mall then became the Moose Hall.
The theatre building burned in 1997. The fire exposed the forgotten facade and got the citizens and city officials to thinking…hmmm, what to do with it? Thankfully, the City of Tehachapi in partnership with Tehachapi Community Theater then set about the process of reconstructing the lost theater as a new home for the popular local theater troup.
The Beekay Theatre was ready for its close-up on December 6, 2008 after a massive renovation to the plans of architect Kevin Haub. The theatre was rebuilt as a live theatre venue and it now seats up to 120. The first play to be presented was “Oliver!” followed by “Catfish Moon”, Nuts" and “Sugar Bean Sisters”. 2009, saw the community theater’s 40th anniversary and the city’s 100th birthday!!
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater