Garden Theatre

121 W. 3rd Street,
Davenport, IA 52801

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Garden Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Garden Theatre was opened September 22, 1915. By 1941 it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary A.H. Blank. It was closed March 31, 1953 and was converted into retail use.

Contributed by Bryan Krefft

Recent comments (view all 9 comments)

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 27, 2007 at 6:18 pm

The ten story bank building in the photo is at 201 W. Third. The photo is looking west. It’s possible that the building in the foreground is the theater at 121:
http://tinyurl.com/2kcjrp

jeffdonaldson
jeffdonaldson on May 3, 2013 at 10:52 am

There is a nice article about this theatre beginning on p.46 of the May 2013 edition of CLASSIC IMAGES magazine.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on September 2, 2014 at 3:57 am

The Garden Theatre was advertised in the September 2, 1923, issue of the Davenport Democrat. Along with the Capitol and Family Theatres it featured Paramount productions.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on April 22, 2017 at 2:53 am

1940 photo added courtesy of the Retro Quad Cities Facebook page.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on April 22, 2017 at 3:14 am

1935 photo added courtesy of the Retro Quad Cities Facebook page. Appears to be the original marquee & blade sign.

rivest266
rivest266 on July 1, 2017 at 8:13 pm

This opened on September 15th, 1915. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/12057243/garden_theatre_opening/

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on August 28, 2017 at 1:23 am

March 1936 foyer promotion for Boris Karloff’s “The Walking Dead” added.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on October 15, 2017 at 5:15 pm

1931 photo added courtesy of the Retro Quad Cities Facebook page.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on October 27, 2017 at 9:34 pm

The Garden Theatre launched September 22, 1915 as a new build theatre playing “Helene of the North.” Clausen & Kruse were the architects and the Mandel Brothers of Chicago handled the interior decoration. The theatre would add sound followed by a refurbishing in 1930.

The Garden Theatre closed for the summer on March 31, 1953 with plans to come back exclusively as a 3D theatre in the Fall. That never transpired. In July of 1954, the theater seats were removed and the floor leveled to become two different retail locations, one of which was a Posner’s retail store.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater