42 Railway Parade,
1 person favorited this theater
The Palatial Burwood Cinema was the first project of the about to be formed Western Suburbs Cinemas Ltd. a circuit which was headed by A.J. Beszant. Located in the Sydney suburb of Burwood, it opened on 14th December 1921. In 1932, it was the first of Western Suburbs Cinemas circuit’s cinemas to have an organ installed, here it was a British made Christie 3Manual/10Rank which was opened by organist Percy Burraston from the Capitol Theatre, Sydney. Other organists to play here were Denis Palmistra, Bert Myers, Knight Barnett, Charles Tuckwell, Paul Cullen, Owen Holland and Barrie Brettoner. Stage shows were also held as part of the programme in the early years.
The Palatial Cinema closed on 13th March 1971 and was then used for a period of time by the Royal Blind Society. It then became a carpet showroom and was demolished in 1978. Today the Burwood Plaza Shopping Centre occupies the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater