Eyres Avenue, Armley,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Palace Picture Hall is located in the Armley district, to the west of Leeds. It opened on 26th August 1912 with "The Governor’s Daughter" and was operated by Armley Rink Co. Ltd. The building had originally been Armley Skating Rink and the architect for the conversion was the managing director of the operating company, Councillor Ezra Hoyle. It had a seating capacity of 800. Part of the building was converted into a dance hall and there was a cafe attached.
One year later at the beginning of August 1913, it was announced that the Palace, which had been closed for alterations and re-decoration would re-open, as new lighting, a new floor, seats and heating system had been installed.
By 1937 it was listed as having a seating capacity of 1,300 (it is possible that a circle had been added?) and there was a skating rink (former dance hall?) & cafe attached.
The Palace Cinema closed on 26th August 1964 with Hayley Mills in "Summer Magic". It was converted into an independent bingo club which remains in use today as the New Western Bingo Club.
The former dance hall/skating rink became a squash club and bar. It is now in use as a gay sauna known as the Steam Complex Sauna, which opened on 21st November 2007 and contains a 20 seat cinema. It is licenced to screen films (adult) and stage live performances and dancing, and also has an alcohol licence until 3:00am.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater