8 High Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Regal Cinema was built by Playhouse (Shanklin Ltd.) and opened on 22nd August 1932 with John Barrymore in “Arsene Lupin”. A series of steps led to the front entrance doors which were in a zig-zag ‘Jazz-Age’ Art Deco style. Inside the auditorium seating was arranged in stalls and circle and again there was modern Art Deco style details in the decoration.
In October 1965 it was leased to Star Cinemas Associated Holdings of Leeds. and then passed to the Cannon Group when they took over Star in the 1980’s. Re-named Cannon Cinema, it closed on 3rd October 1986 with “Poltergeist 2”. The building was then boarded up and has since been demolished.
A block of flats and a shop now occupy this site in the popular seaside town of Shanklin, located on the southeast side of the Isle of Wight. However, some happy preservation news has recently come to light, that the cinema’s Art Deco style old front doors were saved and installed into the new complex.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater