No one has favorited this theater yet
Not too much is known about this cinema. It is located in the Ely Valley mining town of Tonyrefail, just south of Pontypridd. The Picture Theatre opened in 1914 and was located in the centre of the town, in Collenna Road above the Square.
It is listed in the Kinematograph Yearbook 1934 edition as the New Cinema, with a seating capacity of 560. Leased by W.R. Thomas of the Empire Theatre, Llanbradach, and films were booked at the Empire. The proscenium was 18 feet wide.
By 1944 it had been re-named the Savoy Cinema and with seating given as 500, it continued under the management of Mr. Thomas.
By 1947 it was managed by T. Williams who continued to operate it into at least 1954. The Savoy Cinema is still open in 1966, but had gone from cinema listings in 1980. It operated as the independent Savoy Bingo Club until around 2002. The building was purchased by new owners in late-2012, and work began to convert it into a live theatre, which opened 9th April 2015.
The former Picture Theatre is a designated Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater