18 Moss Side Road, Shawlands Cross,
1 person favorited this theater
Located on the south side of Glasgow in the district of Shawlands Cross, the Waverley Picture House opened on 25th December 1922 by Shawlands Picture House Ltd. The building has a red sandstone exterior, with a corner entrance that is topped by a dome. Inside the auditorium, there is a barrel roof ceiling and columns along the walls. There was a tea-room which was very popular in the early years. It 1928 a Christie 2Manual theatre organ was fitted.
It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) from September 1929. The Christie theatre organ was removed from the building in 1953. The Waverley Picture House was re-named ABC in 1964. The ABC was closed on 31st March 1973. It was converted into a bingo club and then from 1982 it became a snooker club which continued until the late 1990’s. The building then stood derelict until 2002 when it was sold to the GI Group for conversion into a mixed use bar/nightclub/restaurant which opened as ‘Tusk’.
On 17th June 1992, Historic Scotland designated the ABC a Grade B Listed building. On 25th November 1993, the exterior of the building was upgraded to a Grade A Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater