44 Cambridge Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Andrew Mather
Styles: Art Deco
News About This Theater
- Jun 13, 2014 — Odeon Cinemas Then and Now
One of the original Oscar Deutsch built Odeon theatres, the Odeon Aylesbury opened on 21st June 1937 with Shirley Temple in “Dimples” & Claire Trevor in “Star for Tonight”.
The exterior has four vertical fins over the entrance, which have three narrow glazed windows between them. Inside the auditorium there were troughs across the ceiling which contained concealed lighting. Seating was provided for 954 in the stalls and 497 in the circle.
The Odeon was tripled from 26th August 1973 when it re-opened with "The Sword in the Stone" in the former circle screen which seated 497, "Lady Caroline Lamb" and "That’ll be the Day" in the two mini screens in the former rear stalls which seated 99 and 108. The Odeon was re-furbished in 1984.
In late 1999, with ABC Cinemas about to open a new 6-screen multiplex in the town (now operated by Odeon), the Odeon was closed on 30th October 1999. The building was purchased by the Sainsbury supermarket chain, to enable a new store and car park to be built on the site. Planning permission has been given, but to date (December 2013) the closed-down former Odeon sits awaiting its fate. Demolition began in March 2017.
A block of flats named Oscar Lodge was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.