36 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Grand Pavilion Cinema was opened on 2nd March 1925 with 800 seats. The original architect was C.H. Wright. It was later re-named Pavilion Cinema and was taken over by the London & District Cinemas Ltd. chain. It was closed in October 1936 for reconstruction to the plans of architect Robert Cromie for the London & District Cinemas Ltd. chain.
The Pavilion Cinema now had a seating capacity for 1,234 when it re-opened on 4th January 1937. The narrow entrance has a facade taller than surrounding buildings, making it stand out, but apart from this, the tall facade which contained windows served no other purpose. There is nothing behind it above the entrance passageway which leads to the auditorium, which was built at the rear of High Street shops, and lays parallel to the High Street.
It was taken over by the Granada Theatres Ltd. chain on 24th November 1946 and was re-named Granada on 15th June 1947. The Granada was closed on 7th October 1972.
It was converted into a Granada Bingo Club, and was taken over by Gala Bingo from May 1991. In January 2019 it was announced the Gala Bingo Club would close in February 2019.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater