1 person favorited this theater
Located in the Bristol suburb of Henleaze, the current 3-screen Orpheus Cinema was built on the site of the original Orpheus Cinema that had opened in February 1938 with 1,400 seats, set in an Art Deco style building. This was closed (amid great protests from the community) on 23rd October 1971 and was demolished the following year.
A Waitrose supermarket was built on the site with the Studios 5-7 Cinema located above. It opened on 10th November 1974 with "Live and Let Die", "Cabaret" and "That’ll Be the Day". The Studios 5-7 were initially operated by Star Cinemas (Star already operated Sudios 1-4 in the city centre).
The Cannon Group took control in 1982 and the cinema was re-named Cannon 1-3. It remained in their control until 1994 when Cannon decided not to re-new the lease. The Cannon closed on 8th January 1995 and it was re-opened by the independent operator Picturedrome Cinemas on 13th January 1995 as the New Orpheus Cinema.
There are no screen curtains, but the screens are surrounded by illuminated frames. There is a single pojection box, and Screen 1 is served via a periscope and mirrors located in the middle of the projection box ceiling.
Seating capacities in the screens are; 185, 129 and 125. The cinema was operated by the independent Reeltime Cinemas UK chain until early 2009, when it was taken over by Scott Cinemas chain.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater