71-73 Church Road, Lawrence Hill,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The sign "The Globe Picture Theatre" was visible from the railway on the way into Bristol, when passing through Lawrence Hill. It opened on 26th March 1914 with 1,123 seats, and was built for Joseph Pugsley. It had an imposing corner entrance at Church Road and Jane Street, with Doric columns supporting an open verandah balcony above. In 1938 the cinema was re-modeled in an Art Deco style both externally and internally, to give a new seating capacity of 1,388.
The Pugsley family sold the Globe Cinema in 1972 and it was closed on 6th January 1973 with Walt Disney’s “The Aristocats”. The building was demolished in July/August 1973, the site redeveloped and City Motors (JP Motors) is located on the site today.
A relative worked there in the 1960’s when the "Granada" a couple of miles up the road went over to Bingo.
Details from "Bristol Cinemas" (Tempus Books 2005) include dates 1914-1973 and exterior and interior pictures.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater