6 people favorited this theater
The Paramount Theatre was built in 1930 to the designs of architects Frank T. Verity & Samuel Beverley for the U.K. arm of the American Paramount Theatres chain. The Manchester Paramount Theatre was a sumptuous American import.
Verity & Beverley were Paramount Theatre’s chosen architects for their U.K. enterprise — they were also responsible for the Paramount Leeds, Paramount Newcastle-on-Tyne, Paramount Glasgow, Paramount Liverpool, Paramount Birmingham and Paramount, Tottenham Court Road, London. Their architect’s practice continues today as Verity-Beverley.
Originally containing 2,920 seats, the Paramount Theatre was the largest of Manchester’s picture palaces to survive as a cinema. It opened on 6th October 1930 with Maurice Chevalier in “The Love Parade”, plus a variety show on stage, and it was equipped with a Wurlitzer 4Manual/20Ranks theatre organ. The Paramount Theatre also had a cafe for the convenience of its patrons.
In November 1939 the Paramount circuit was obtained by Oscar Deutsch’s chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. and it was re-named Odeon in April 1940. It was twinned in 1973, triplexed in 1979 with a further four screens created in 1992.
The cinema was closed in September 2004 due to competition from the AMC Great Northern 16, which had opened nearby in December 2001. In Autumn of 2010, plans were approved by Manchester City Council to demolish the former Paramount/Odeon and redevelop the site. Preparation for demolition work began in late-June 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater