70 Oxford Street,
Oxford Road Station Approach,
3 people favorited this theater
The Cornerhouse began life as a replacement cinema for the Whitworth Street Electric Theatre (later Majestic) which opened in 1911 and was demolished in 1934.
The Tatler News Theatre, designed by Peter Cummings, opened in May 1935 with a seating capacity of 300. Sited next to Oxford Road Railway Station the Tatler News Theatre was in an ideal site for its ‘drop-in’ programme of cartoons and news-reels, and this lasted until September 1959.
After lying closed for a while, it was reopened in November 1961 as the Tatler Classic with a programme of art house and foreign language films which was successful until in 1969 it moved to a more erotic fare as the Tatler Cinema Club showing uncensored films to club members.
These kept the projectors rolling until closure came again in August 1981.
Across the narrow pathway to the station was Shaws furniture showroom which, in 1985, was bought to be converted into an arts complex of 2 cinemas seating 170 and 60, galleries, café and bookshop. It was quickly realised that the former news theatre would make the best and largest screen of the complex and was thus acquired refurbished and reopened on 11th October 1985.
It then began the most popular and successful period of its life, the three Cornerhouse Cinemas as they are collectively known had an enterprising programming policy and loyal audience.
A full refurbishment was carried out in 1997, comfort and excellent technical facilities were paramount.
The Cornerhouse Cinemas was closed on 4th April 2015. One of the final films screened was “Blue Velvet”. The building will be used by Manchester University as a teaching space. In May 2015, the Cornerhouse Cinemas will be moved across to a purpose built arts centre known as Home, which contains five screens, a 450-seat theatre and a 150-seat flexible theatre space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater