48 Bannatyne Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Regal Cinema opened on 31st August 1936 with Charlie Chase in "Manhattan Monkey Business" and Laurel & Hardy in "The Bohemian Girl". Scottish cinema owner A.B. King was one of the sponsors of the Regal Cinema.
The entrance was a conversion of a former two-storey office building. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. The auditorium has a barrel ceiling, a 30 feet wide proscenium and decorative horizontal alcoves on the side walls which contain concealed lighting. There were a cafe provided for the convenience of patrons, which was located over the entrance foyer.
The Regal Cinema closed as a full time cinema in the 1970’s and introduced bingo, with occassional film shows. The last film was Kevin Costner in "Robin Hood – Prince of Thieves" in 1987.
Known as the Vogue Bingo Club, this use continued until the ‘No Smoking’ ban in public buildings was introduced in Scotland in March 2006. The building reverted back to cinema use, using the original projection equipment, which was still retained in the projection box. Sadly, this venture was not too successful and full time films ceased in April 2007. The building became available to hire for private screenings and special events. In July 2017 there were hopes that proposals being made to re-open as a cinema again.
On 27th May 2008, Historic Scotland designated the Regal Cinema a Grade C(s) Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater