95 Mill Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
A handsome 1,022 seat cinema with a distinctive tower faced in white faiance tiles, opened in Mill Street Macclesfield on 21st December 1922 with Harold Lloyd in “A Sailor Made Man”. It was built for Macclesfield Majestic Picturehouse Ltd. and had a small stage which was used throughout the life of the Majestic for variety and local amateur productions. There was also a cafe in the building. By 1964 the capacity had fallen to 962, and was further reduced to around 700 by the 1990’s.
The Majestic Cinema outlasted all the other cinemas in the town and finally closed on 2nd April 1998 with “The Man in the Iron Mask”. There was considerable outcry at the loss of the Majestic and the Council considered buying the cinema for continued cinema and theatre use, but in the end concluded at facilities elsewhere would be preferable. It was even put forward for Listed Building status, but was turned down by English Heritage.
A council report on the sale of the cinema in April 1997 stated:– ‘The cinema was the last one to survive in Macclesfield and the seating capacity of approximately 700 had also made it the largest venue for theatrical promotions in the town, although the backstage facilities were not ideal for such productions. The majority use of the building in recent times had been as a cinema, supplemented by two productions a year by the Majestic Theatre Group of one week each, and the occasional one night show’.
Much of the auditorium was demolished in summer 2000 to form a complex of bars and accommodation, but the landmark tower survives as the entrance to one of the bars.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater