No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. Originally on this site stood the New King’s Theatre which opened on 3rd October 1904 and had a seating capacity of 500. It had its entrance on Forest Road. From April 1906, films were being presented as part of the variety show and in 1911 it was known as the King’s Picturedrome. The building was re-constructed in July 1913 and again in 1920 when the seating capacity was for 800. It closed in August 1931 with Lon Chaney in "Phantom of the Opera" and Frank Starsmore in "Three Men in a Cart". The building was demolished to build the new King’s Theatre.
The King’s Theatre had its entrance on Fox Street and was designed in an Art Deco style by noted Nottingham based cinema architect Alfred J. Thraves. It opened on 28th March 1932 with Ronald Colman in "The Unholy Garden". Seating was provided for 926 in the stalls and 333 in the circle.
In the mid-1960’s it was sold to the Star Cinemas circuit of Leeds and soon they were operating it as a Star Bingo Club in winter months and film use during summer months. The King’s Theatre closed on 3rd June 1967 with Walt Disney’s "Lady and the Tramp" and "Ballerina". It was converted into a full time Star Bingo Club from 1st July 1967.
Other operators took over until it closed on bingo in the mid-1990’s. It was then converted into a nightclub, named the Picture House. This only lasted a few years and the auditorium was demolished. The remaining front section of the building was taken over by the J.D. Wetherspoon chain of pubs and on 22nd February 2000 it opened as the Picture House pub.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater