93 Outram Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. The Queens Palace was opened on 21st July 1913, and was built for and operated by Sutton & Kirkby Picture Palace Co. Ltd. who had opened the Kings Palace in nearby Kirkby-in-Ashfield in 1912. It had an attractive stone front topped by a pediment, and the centrally placed entrance had a concave half-dome, with the paybox on the street. Designed by architect L. Dodsley, who also designed Kirkby’s Kings Palace, it had a seating capacity for 1,000 in stalls and circle levels. There was a 25 feet deep stage, which was used for variety acts in the early years and into the 1920’s.
In 1929 it was taken over by Aleph Entertainment, who operated the cinema for most of its life. It was closed for redecoration and the installation of a Western Electric(WE) sound system in April 1930, re-opening as the Tivoli Cinema on 23rd April 1930 with Morton Downey in “Mother’s Boy”.
The Tivoli Cinema was closed on 2nd April 1960 with “Where the River Bends” and “Abbott and Costello in the Navy”. It was never equipped with CinemaScope.
The building was purchased soon after closing and the façade was removed and it was converted into an arcade of shops. By 1991 it was in use as a furniture store on the ground floor and there is a function suite/bar in the former circle.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater