2 Spring Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally built in 1888 as a Salvation Army Citadel, it was closed by the Salvationists in 1962 and became a furniture warehouse. This lasted a few years and the building then lay empty and unused, becoming derelict.
It was re-furbished and renovated, re-opening on 29th August 1979 with Steve McQueen in "The Towering Inferno" which was presented in a 16mm format. Seating was provided for 118 in the stalls and 98 in the balcony. The picture quality was not up to standards set in mainstream cinemas and soon two second-hand 35mm projectors were installed.
In 1996 The Theatre received Lottery funding for an upgrade and new projectors were installed, the stage facilities were over-hauled etc. The auditorium now seats 134 in the stalls and 98 in the balcony. Painted murals on the side-walls by artist Graham Rusk depict audiences in box seats. The Theatre now presents both film and live performances.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater