Regent Centre

51 High Street,
Christchurch, BH23 1AS

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Regent Cinema 2014

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Regent Cinema opened on 26th December 1931 with Mary Pickford in "The Taming of the Shrew". It was built for and initially operated by local exhibitor F.J. Rowley. It was operated by Portsmouth Town Cinemas from the mid-1930’s.

In 1969 it was taken over by Shipman & King cinema circuit via their involvement with the Grade brothers. It was closed in July 1973 and became a Mecca Bingo Club.

Taken over by the local council in June 1983, it was re-furbished and re-opened with Peter O'Toole in "Lawrence of Arabia". Now known as the Regent Centre, it screens films and stages live performances.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on June 10, 2010 at 4:21 am

The Regent Theatre exterior:
View link

Buffer
Buffer on February 4, 2015 at 9:26 am

In 2015 the projection room is being converted into a museum due to the reduced space required by digital. Projectors, tickets and photos will be included, and tours of the Regent Centre will include the box, which has external access

jamesbroadway
jamesbroadway on January 15, 2017 at 2:52 pm

The Kaley lamp houses are under the circle, 1973 (Left) the projetors that were used were in the circle Bell & Howell 16mm. we showed in 1984 “Prince” purple rain. that when it got the two BHT projectors from wales, hauled up the alley way and up to the projection room, and had the asbestos ceiling removed then we were ready for projectors installed and totally new wiring to the power room “amadaus” one of the rectifiers blew up and we started for 2 weeks showing films with with sound but no picture until 20 sec to relight the rods on the second projector.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater