3 Belle Vue Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Previous Names: Palace Picture Theatre
The Palace Picture Theatre opened in January 1920, built on the site of the former New Theatre/Empire Cinema of 1913 which had been destroyed by fire in 1919. Seating was provided for 500. The Palace Cinema was badly damaged by fire and was re-furbished, re-opened in January 1924.
It passed to the control of the Albany Ward Circuit who were to be merged Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT), who then merged with the Gaumont British Theatre chain in 1929.
Again damaged by fire in 1957, the Rank Organisation closed the Palace Cinema. It was taken over by an independent operator who restored the cinema, re-opening it on 5th January 1958. It eventually proved to be uneconomical and was closed in 1966 and became a British Legion hall.
In 2005, a new owner began restoration, and re-opened the Palace Cinema. A second screen was added in the former circle area.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.