765 Finchley Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Located on Finchley Road, to the south of Golders Green in north-west London. Originally built as an ice skating rink, it was taken over by the County Cinemas circuit in 1932, and they employed architect Robert Cromie to convert the interior of building into a cinema. The Regal Cinema opened on 18th September 1932.
Seating was provided for 2,218 on a single floor. It was equipped with a 2Manual/6Rank Wurlitzer organ which was opened by organist Reginald Foort. The Regal Cinema also had a cafe and ballroom attached. In September 1939, County Cinemas were taken over by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd., although the Regal name remained throughout its life. The nearby Orpheum Theatre, at Temple Fortune (also part of the County Cinemas circuit) was taken over by Odeon and re-named Odeon Temple Fortune.
The Regal Cinema was an early closure, the final programme was the double bill; Victor Mature in "The Sharkfighters" and Rory Calhoun in "Flight to Hong Kong", on 1st December 1956. The building lay empty for a while, and was converted into a Top Rank Bowl, catering to the new craze of 10 pin bowling, which opened in March 1960.
Bowling was only a short live fad, but this bowl operated until 1970, when it was closed. The building began use as office space for Bruno Newton in October 1971. It was demolished in February/March 1996 and offices were built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater