2510 Washington Boulevard,
1 person favorited this theater
Wayne and Mark Stephens, who also owned the North Star drive-in, converted the former dining room of the Hotel Ben Lomond into a movie theatre. It opened on February 6, 1970 with “Alice’s Restaurant” and was just called ‘The Movie’. The Ogden Standard-Examiner said that it was the first theatre in downtown Ogden in more than a quarter of century and would show only exclusive first-run films. The Stephens promised, ‘We will not buy, nor will we exhibit any motion picture with an X rating’. Luxury touches included self-rising rocker seats with high backs and upholstered armrests and unobstructed views of the screen. The number of seats was not given but its size was described as ‘intimate’. The entrance to the theatre, to be managed by Dennis Stephens, was just off 25th Street, with parking available in the lot across the street where the old Ogden theatre once stood. The Hotel Ben Lomond, built in 1927, has always been a famous Ogden landmark.
Boxoffice magazine reported on April 19, 1971 that The Movie was being leased to Richard Glasmann of the Orpheum Theatre Co. By 1977, with its ad appearing regularly in the newspaper, they began to play second run and B pictures.
The exact date of closing could not be confirmed but in 1986 it was still listed in the International Motion Picture Almanac with R. Glasmann as the operator.
In 1990, the Hotel Ben Lomond was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater