2426 Pennsylvania Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Schanze Theatre opened in 1912, it was across the street from the larger Metropolitan Theatre. Inititally it was a combined vaudeville and movie house and the building contained a dance hall on the second floor.
In 1938 it was renovated and reopened as the Morgan Theatre on November 5, 1938. In 1940 it was renamed Uptown Theatre, catering to the African-American population. This was short lived as in 1941 it was taken over by new owner who change the name to Cinema Theatre and screened Yiddish movies.
From July 1946 it had new owners and reverted back to the Morgan Theatre name, as an African-American theatre. Closed by a serious fire in November 1949, it was remodeled into an amuement arcade. It was later taken over by Wilson’s restaurant. The theatre is intact with its gothic muses on the front facade. Since 1972. it has been used commercially for a Black Social Club, known as the Arch Social Club for meetings and banquets.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater