96 High Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Located in the Erdington district of Birmingham. The Palace Cinema was converted from a former Public Hall by architect George Payton. It opened on 26th December 1912.
In 1922, a new auditorium was built at the rear of the building, and the former auditorium was transformed into the crush hall/foyer for the new cinema. The Palace Cinema re-opened on 22nd January 1923 with Ivor Novello in "The Bohemian Girl". Seating was now provided in stalls and circle levels. The building also contained the Palace Ballroom, a cafe and tennis courts.
The Palace Cinema was extensively altered to the designs of architect Horace G. Bradley and re-opened on 7th October 1929. It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in October 1929.
The Palace Cinema was closed by ABC on 19th August 1972 with Ron Moody in "Oliver". It was demolished and a supermarket was built on the site.
In 2009, Partners The Stationers operates from the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater