46 The Common,
No one has favorited this theater yet
A single floored 700 seater designed by architect E.B. Parkinson, which opened as the Regent Cinema on 7th October 1935. It became the Odeon in 1946 having been purchased by General Cinema Finance who in turn were acquired by Odeon Theatres Ltd. in 1943.
It led an uneventful life, escaping the first round of Odeon closures in 1957, but it was sold off to Classic Cinema chain ten years later. It was renamed Classic Cinema for two years before being sold to Panton Ltd. who renamed it Curzon Cinema. Bingo was added, initially for two days each week from 1969, and the last film Marlon Brando in “The Godfather” was screened on 2nd June 1973, after which bingo took over completely.
Known as Chequers Bingo Club, it closed around 2008 and the building has been purchased by developers. However the plans for the site, shops and flats, have so far been refused planning permission. Nevertheless the end is nearing for the seventy plus year old cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater