No one has favorited this theater yet
A medium sized cinema located in Castle Street, Caerphilly, the Castle Cinema opened in July 1913 and had a 25 feet wide proscenium. It was owned by the Caerphilly Miner’s Institute. They also owned the nearby Workman’s Hall and Institute Cinema in the same Street.
The cinema possessed a balcony plus a very roomy projection box housing two GB Kalee 12 Arc projectors with Kalee 11 open sound heads. There was also an adjacent projection room that housed a slide lantern and a public address microphone that was used to address audiences during breaks.
The Castle Cinema rose to fame following a live concert staged there by the notorious Sex Pistols punk rock group on 14th December 1976. The bands' UK tour attracted the media hype and publicity following the cancellation of their gigis at numerous venues across the UK, due to pressure from various religious groups. The Caerphilly gig went ahead, although outside the cinema a group of religious protesters staged an alternative concert of Christmas carol singing.
During the 1970’s the Castle Cinema was independently owned and it was twinned, with seating provided for 400 and 120 in the two screens. It was closed at the end of September 1989, and was converted into a snooker club. It was demolished in 2002, and a Housing Association off was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater