Workmen's Hall Cinema
20 Castle Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
A cinema owned and operated by the Caerphilly Miner’s Welfare committee. It opened in 1925, with 650 seats all on one level, the auditorium was small. Originally the proscenium was 18 feet wide, later this was expanded for Cinemascope to 34 feet. The projection equipment consited of Kalee 12 arcs and Kalee 11 open sound heads. The sound system was Westrex. Attached to the cinema was a reading room and lecture hall.
The cinema closed as a full time operation during the late-1960’s with occasional film shows throughout the 1970’s, competing with the Castle Cinema a little further along the same street.
Alongside the cinema was the traditional workingmen’s club, a reading room and snooker hall.
The building still stands today and functions purely as a workmen’s club with bar. In 2009 the building is available for sale, plans have been submitted to convert the premises to a memorial tribute/museum for comedian Tommy Cooper who was born in the town.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater