No one has favorited this theater yet
A replacement for an earlier Rialto Cinema destroyed by fire, the Rialto Cinema opened on November 25, 1935 with "Gold Diggers of 1935". It had 1,800 seats, was designed by Frederick Dyer and had a proscenium 45ft wide. The Rialto Cinema was equipped with a Compton 3Manual 5 Ranks organ, which was opened by Hal Sherwin.
The wide proscenium came in handy when CinemaScope was installed in 1955, when the opening accommodated a massive 42ft by 20ft screen.
Originally there were four tall narrow fins running up the facade and above the parapet between the windows in the central block. These have been removed to the detriment of the building.
There was a shallow stage which was used infrequently. The last film was shown on 15th October 1961 with William Holden in “The World of Suzi Wong”. The Rialto Cinema went over to bingo which it continued to be used for until its closure in 2002 as a Mecca Bingo Club. In 2003, the former Rialto Cinema was demolished to make way for a car park for a new Mecca Bingo Club nearby.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater