St. George's Cinema
No one has favorited this theater yet
Built beside and behind Fairfax House, a Georgian house built in 1732 for Viscount Fairfax and designed by York architect John Carr. The St. Georges Hall was opened as a cinema on 7th March 1921 with “Three Men in a Boat”. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels, with the projection box located at the rear of the stalls, under the circle. The decorative scheme included Oak wood panels on the walls.
It was taken over by the Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT) chain in 1922. In 1928, a Jardin ‘straight’ 3Manual 27 stops organ was installed. The instrument had previously been installed in the Tivoli Theatre, Strand, London. It was opened by organist Frank Olsen.
In February 1929, PCT were taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres chain. The St. George’s Cinema also boasted a large ballroom and cafe, located on the first floor of Fairfax House.
The St. George’s Cinema was closed by the Rank Organisation on 6th November 1965 with Elizabeth Taylor in “Cleopatra”.
It became an auction room for several years. The auditorium was demolished in 1970, and new buildings were erected on the site. The facade and interiors of Fairfax House were retained and have been restored to their 1732 splendour.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater