1 person favorited this theater
The Regal Cinema was opened on 25th September 1937 with Jack Oakie in “That Girl in Paris”. It was built for and operated by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain, and was designed by their in-house architect William R. Glen, assisted by local architectural firm Penty & Thompson.
The fan-shaped auditorium ran parallel to the street, with the entrance at the right-hand end. Seating was provided for 932 in the stalls and 788 in the circle. The proscenium was 32 feet wide. The Regal Cinema was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/6Ranks organ with an illuminated console on a lift, that was opened by organist Wilfred Southworth.
The Regal Cinema was re-named ABC in 1961. In September 1972 it was closed for conversion of the rear stalls into a Painted Wagon pub, and the cinema re-opened 27th November 1972 with 680 seats in the circle area only.
It was closed for tripling in 1980, re-opening on 2nd October 1980 with screen 1 in the former circle having 653 seats, screens 2 & 3 in the former front stalls having 259 & 176 seats.
The ABC was closed on 18th June 1986. It was demolished in 1989, and a Marks & Spencer homeware store was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater