101-103 Brixton Hill,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the southwest London inner-city district of Brixton. The Brixton Hill Cinematograph Theatre opened on 10th March 1911, and was 13th of Montagu A. Pyke’s chain of Cinematograph Theatres to open in London and its suburbs. It had a narrow entrance on Brixton Hill and the auditorium was set well back. In 1914, after Montagu Pyke lost his cinema chain due to being imprisoned following the death of a projectionist in a fire at the Pykes Cinematograph Theatre, Charing Cross Road, London, it was re-named the Scala Cinema Theatre. In the 1920’s it was operating as the Royalty Kinema.
By 1937 it was operating under the name New Royalty Kinema and the front entrance had been given a modern treatment. In the late-1940’s it was taken over by the Birmingham based Clifton Cinemas circuit, and was re-named Clifton Cinema by 1950.
The Clifton Cinema was closed on 10th August 1957 with Guy Madison in "The Beast of Hollow Mountain" and George Montgomery in "Robbers Roost". It was converted into a camping store selling tents and other outdoor equipment. By 1993, the auditorium had been demolished, and the front entrance and foyer was in use as a restaurant. This use continues in 2009 as a Somalian restaurant named Dalxiis.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater