11500 Main Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Mattituck Theatre was the only Quonset Hut style theatre on Long Island. It was designed with a two story block front by local architect A. Van Ryswyck. The opening date was February 8, 1951.
According to the 1957 Film Daily Yearbook the seating capacity was 425 and it was operated by Liggett-Florin Booking Service. The previous "Mattituck Theatre" was not a dedicated space but rather the use of a second floor hall in the Library which was operated by the owners of the new theatre.
After its closure the space housed an auto parts dealer, a bike shop and, currently, a sports shop. The wedged shape marquee has been retained but the only remaining original element is the "M" on the front. Walls have been extended down from the marquee to form the new entrance.
The walls of the theatre was a Gunite, or similar spray, over the corrugated steel. One of the decorative faux windows exists, in part, in a storage area. The outline of a wall sconce can also be seen. Concealed fluorescent line either side of the high arched auditorium. A wooden floor has been installed over the pitched concrete.
The windows from the projection booth are readily observable from the retail area. The only on-site memorabilia is a poor quality night time photo showing that "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" was playing. That would indicate 1964.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater