1 person favorited this theater
Located in Atherstone, Warwickshire, on Long Street, a short distance east of the main town centre. Built on the site of the Atherstone Workhouse, the Regal Cinema opened on 28th August 1937. With its 750 seat auditorium on a stadium plan, it staged variety and well as pictures. The proscenium was 40 feet wide. It was first operated as an independent cinema by the owners of the Savoy Cinema, Stratford Road, Birmingham.
It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) on 30th August 1943. Taken over by independent operator Mr Sankey from 27th March 1960. Mr Sankey became well known in the business for operating a sideline company from the premises, dealing in second-hand spare parts for projectors and other cinema equipment.
The Regal Cinema was closed in 1987, and upon closing was still maintained in immaculate condition, including polished woodwork and brass. Even the original two Ross-Simplex projectors with their original RCA sound heads were in perfect working order. It was demolished in 1989 and housing named Regal Court was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater