97 Long Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in Atherstone, Warwickshire. The Picturedrome was a conversion of the towns' Corn Exchange in the mid-1920’s and had a 16 feet wide proscenium. Owned by John Briggs and Harry Vero originally, but was later sold to the Star Cinemas circuit. Star Cinemas modernised the cinema installing new seats and new projection and sound equipment. The projectors were Kalee 12’s and sound equipment had been provided by Imperial of Leicester.
Star Cinemas disposed of the Picturedrome in 1952 to Mr Bob Sankey, who was well known in the cinema industry for his cinema spares and maintenance service. His manager was Mr Des Schofield who had been in the industry from leaving school . In March 1960 Mr Sankey aquired the Regal Cinema further up Long Street from Associated British Cinemas(ABC) and closed the Picturedrome, the Regal Cinema being a far more luxurious cinema, hence the Picturedrome could not compete. The building stood empty for 10 years until it was demolished along with the ajacent old Police Station, this site stood empty and used as a car park until 1989 when new shops and office’s were built called Warwick House.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater