110 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
A small town cinema housed in a building that was rumoured to have once been a brewery. It opened in 1913 as the Empire Cinema. It consisted of a very narrow hall with a single story foyer, plus a street facing box office, tacked on to the front. The building was set back from the street slightly, and inside the auditorium, seating was on a single floor.
It was re-named Palladium Cinema in 1927 and a British Thomson-Houston(BTH) sound system was installed in 1930. It became part of the W. Truman Dicken Cinemas circuit, and was last operated as an independent. The Palladium Cinema closed on 30th January 1993 with “Cinema Paradiso”. Since then, the building has been closed and unused, although in January 2007, plans were proposed to convert the building into a nightclub and a licence had been granted. The building was purchased by the J.D. Wetherspoon chain of pubs in January 2015 and following refurbishment it reopened as the Palladium Electric on 18th September 2018.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater