No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the small Somerset market town of Shepton Mallet. The Regal Cinema was opened in April 1934 with Cecil Parker in "Cuckoo in the Nest". It had a smart brick facade, relieved with white stone trimmings. Seating in the auditorium was provided in stalls and balcony. The proscenium was 30 feet wide, the stage 20 feet deep which was fully equipped with a fly tower, and there were five dressing rooms.
In 1938, it was taken over by the local W. Truman Dicken circuit, and it remained with them until it was closed in November 1963. It stood derelict for almost six years, until 1969, when the local council refurbished and re-opened the Regal Cinema as a multi-purpose venue. Unfortunately, spending cuts forced an early closure and the building was abandoned again. A road scheme in the area the building was located sealed its fate, and it was demolished in 1973.
The site is commemorated by the new road built when the cinema stood is named Regal Road.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater