24 Priory Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Clifton Circuit
Firms: Satchwell & Roberts
Styles: Art Deco
The Regal Cinema is an outstanding example of a small town 1930’s cinema (well actually Tenbury Wells is a Cathedral City, but is relatively small). Built by the Clifton Cinemas chain (Regal Wells Company Ltd.), it opened on 12th November 1935 with Ronald Colman in "Clive of India". Designed by architect Ernest S. Roberts, who was assisted by local architect R.O. Stiles. Seating was provided for 420 in the stalls and 160 in the balcony. There are original glazed stained glass windows and much of the original decorative scheme is still intact. An unusual feature is a stand alone pylon name sign which is located on the corner of the plot of land at Priory Road and Princes Road. The Regal Cinema had a fully equipped stage which was 30 feet deep with a proscenium opening of 28 feet wide. There were four dressing rooms and these facilities were put to good use for many years, staging pantomime, local amateur opera companies and variety shows which attracted big name stars right through into the 1960’s.
The Clifton Cinema Circuit of Birmingham operated it for many years. In the 1960’s it began a mixed use of films and bingo on two nights a week and it screened its last film in January 1993 to become a full time bingo club which closed in around 1997. The Regal Cinema remained empty and unused until 2003, when it was converted into Kudos nightclub.
The building was Grade II Listed in 1994. It is currently on the local Mendip District Council ‘Historic Buildings at Risk Register’. It was reported in 2011, that the stand-alone pylon sign, which is included in the description for the heritage listing of the cinema had been removed (stolen?). In early-2015 the Regal began nights of live performances.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.