40 Lowfield Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The New Cinema opened on 19th November 1913. It had a turreted frontage with a pedimented centre section, and a wide glass canopy. Inside the foyer had a mosaic floor. The auditorium had a paneled dado, and a curved ceiling.
It was re-named Cinema in 1921, and was taken over by the independent Medway Cinemas chain in 1927, and re-named Rialto Cinema. It was reconstructed by architect G.E. Bond and re-opened in June 1931.
Taken over by the Granada Theatres Ltd. chain from 18th April 1949, it was re-named Century Cinema from 23rd March 1952. The Century Cinema was very popular, and due to its ideal location, Granada were offered a good deal for the sale of the site. They closed the Century Cinema on 29th October 1960 with Judy Holliday in "Bells are Ringing" and "Ballons and Spinifex".
The cinema was demolished and a Shoppers Paradise supermarket was built on the site. Later it was used as a New World snooker club, but in 2008, the building is vacant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater