205 W. 46th Street,
9 people favorited this theater
Opened on January 10, 1910 as the Globe Theatre for producer and theater manager Charles Dillingham, this 1,475-seat theater was designed in Neo-Renaissance style by the firm of Carrere & Hastings. It had two entrances, a narrow one at 1555 Broadway, the other at 203-217 W. 46th Street.
It originally was a venue for legitimate theatre, until closing in 1931.
It served as a movie house from 1935 until July 28, 1957 when “A Face in the Crowd” was its final movie .
Acquired by City Playhouses, Inc. in 1957, it was renovated and renamed the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, after the famed husband-and-wife stage actors, returning to its pre-1935 use. At the same time, the main entrance was moved from Broadway to the former side entrance on W. 46th Street.
The theater became part of the Nederlander Organization in 1973. Marlene Dietrich, Peggy Lee and Carol Channing have all appeared on the Lunt-Fontanne’s stage.
The theater received an extensive restoration from 1997-99, which returned it to its original appearance, reopening with Disney’s stage version of “Beauty and the Beast”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater