98 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Feltham, just to the west of Hounslow, near Heathrow Airport. Built on the site of Manor Lodge, the Playhouse Cinema was opened on 6th December 1930 with Harold Lloyd in “Feet First”. It was a brick building, with white stone trim along its top, and a small square tower on its left-hand side, again with white stone trim. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided on a stadium plan, with no overhanging balcony, but a raised section at the rear. The proscenium was 35 feet wide.
It was operated for many years by the independent Southern Cinemas Ltd. chain. The Playhouse Cinema was closed on 2nd May 1959 with Alan Ladd in "The Proud Rebel" and Dean Jones in "Handle With Care". In the early 1960’s it was converted into an independently operated bingo club, which lasted for many years. When the bingo club closed, it became a furniture store. Nothing had been altered, apart from the removal of the cinema seats.
The Playhouse Cinema was demolished in March/April 1992. The site today is around the location of the roadway leading to Tesco’s supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater