69 Seven Sisters Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the north London inner-city district of Holloway, on Seven Sisters Road at the corner of Axminster Road. The Holloway Cinematograph Theatre was the 14th cinema that was opened by Montagu Pyke, in his small chain of Cinematograph Theatre’s. It opened on 29th March 1911 and was designed by the architectural firm of Gilbert & Constanduros. It had seating provided all on a single floor, and was equipped with a Jones straight organ.
In 1914, after Montagu Pyke was made bankrupt, it was taken over by Boss & Nicholson and re-named Palace Cinema. Another independent exhibitor took over in 1923 and in around 1930, it was re-designed by noted cinema architect George Coles, when a Western Electric sound system was installed.
The Palace Cinema was closed in the Summer of 1937 and was demolished. The Art Deco style North London Drapery Store was built on its expanded site, taking up the whole block of Seven Sisters Road between Axminster Road and Sussex Way. In later years the ground floor of this building became a Safeway supermarker, then an Argos Store and is now divided into several retail units, with a Fitness First Gym on the actual site of the cinema. While the upper floors of the building became the North London College, the University of Northern Virginia plus several other education establishments.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater