Cannon Studios 6 & 7
15 Lewisham High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Kings’s Hall opened on 26th December 1912, and was located close to the Obelisk Cinema, which had opened in May of 1912. The King’s Hall was purpose built as a cinema and was designed by architect Percy Leeds, with seating provided for 748 in the stalls and 175 in the circle. The auditorium had a barrel-shaped ceiling and a ‘handsome’ frieze of allegorical figures around the walls.
The King’s Hall suffered German bomb damage, first on 7th September 1940, which closed the cinema until repairs were carried out, and it re-opened on 16th August 1943. It was bomb damaged again on 3rd July 1944, and this closed the building for much longer, due to building restrictions.
Repairs and renovations were carried out by architect Robert Cromie, and it re-opened as the Rex Cinema on 24th July 1950, being the first cinema in London to be re-constructed after war damage. The main exterior walls were retained, but the elaborate facade was given a new ‘modern’ look, and the interior was totally renewed.
The Rex Cinema was closed on 6th May 1967 and converted into a bingo club. Taken over by the Star Cinemas chain of Leeds, it re-opened as a twin cinema, Studios 6 & 7 on 26th December 1969 with Warren Mitchell in "Till Death Us Do Part" and Beryl Reid in "The Killing of Sister George". Seating was provided for 515 in Studio 6, and 372 in Studio 7.
It was re-named Cannon, when the Cannon Group took over Star Ciinemas in December 1985, and they closed the cinema in April 1986. It was demolished in May 1988.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater