Liberty Theatre

207 Perry Street,
Davenport, IA 52801

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Liberty Theater 1925 (white building)

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Another small downtown theatre located on Perry Street at E. 2nd Street. The Princess Theatre was opened September 11, 1911. In March 1913 it was renamed Lyric Theatre. Following improvements it reopened as the Liberty Theatre on December 5, 1918 with seating listed at 480. It was later renamed Rialto Theatre before returning to the Liberty Theatre name on December 5, 1924. It was closed in November 1943 and was converted to an auto supply store. It has since been demolished.

Contributed by Chuck

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

dustyalldaylong on July 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm

All of these buildings except for the Hotel Blackhawk were demolished and The RiverCenter was built. The Northeast corner of 2nd and Perry is now a greenspace.

kevincr on January 21, 2013 at 6:34 pm

The Liberty Theatre was gone by 1948, per the Telephone Directory.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on May 25, 2013 at 11:29 pm

The Liberty Theatre placed an advertisement in the May 30, 1942, issue of The Billboard, seeking burlesque performers for the summer season. Another ad in the November 14 issue of The Billboard the same year touted the Liberty’s star attraction, Ina Lorraine, featured in a “…novelty dance characterization…” called The Virgin’s Dream.

I’ve been unable to find any earlier or later references to the Liberty Theatre, but in 1942 it was definitely operating as a burlesque house.

rivest266 on July 1, 2017 at 12:45 pm

This opened on December 5th, 1918. Grand opening ad in photo section.

dallasmovietheaters on October 27, 2017 at 1:15 pm

The Princess Theatre opened here by J.A. Hughes on September 11, 1911. On March 29, 1913, the theatre added a $5,000 pipe organ and became the Lyric Theatre. In 1918, the theatre was expanded and modernized becoming the Liberty Theatre on December 5, 1918. The Monroe Circuit added the theatre and changed to the Rialto Theatre.

Under new ownership, the Rialto returned to its Liberty Theatre nameplate beginning on December 5, 1924. In 1931, the theatre became a live burlesque house showing exploitation films and second-run films. The theatre closed in November of 1943. The floor was leveled at that time and the building became a cleaner and carpet center. On March 17, 1956, the building was gutted by a major fire.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater