12 Cheam Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in Sutton, Surrey, today a southwestern district of Greater London. The Picture Theatre opened on 1st July 1910. Designed by Mr H. Roberts, there was a domed tower feature on the left-hand side of the facade. Inside the 650-seat auditorium it had a barrel vaulted ceiling, with ribs across which were decorated with fibrous plaster and specially designed stencil ornament. It was independently operated for most of its cinematic life.
In 1946, the Picture Theatre was taken over by James Gardner, who operated cinemas in Kingston & Ewell. In 1953, it was re-named Curzon Cinema.
In 1971, the Curzon Cinema was taken over by the Star Cinemas chain of Leeds, and they closed the Curzon Cinema on 27th February 1971 with Carolyn Jones in "Love Variations" and George Sanders in "The Body Stealers". It was converted it into three screens seating 260, 120 and 120, and re-opened as Studios 1,2,3 on 13th June 1971 with Alan Arkin in "Catch 22", Hywel Bennett in "Percy" and James Donnelly in "The Wife Swappers". Taken over by Classic Cinemas they were taken over by the Cannon Group in the 1980’s and it was renamed Cannon Film Centre. It was closed in June 1992.
In 1994, it was converted into a nightclub, which has operated under several names: Love2Love, Legends, by 2009 operated as Kinetic, and by 2015 it was known as Wonderland.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater