817 Chicago Avenue,
5 people favorited this theater
Originally opened in 1915 as the Triangle Theatre, it was re-named Park Theatre in the 1920’s and the New Main Theatre in 1928. The theater became part of the Balaban & Katz chain in 1936 and was remodeled by the firm of Pereira & Pereira. It was renamed the Coronet Theatre in 1938. The Coronet Theatre was one of the smaller of Evanston’s movie theaters, which included, among others, the Varsity, the Valencia, and the Stadium (later renamed the Evanston).
This Art Deco style movie house sat just over 800, and remained a first-run theater for decades, before it began to decline in the 1970’s, due to the abundance of larger multiplexes opening up in neighboring Chicago and nearby suburbs.
It closed as a movie theatre in 1984 and was later used on and off as a concert venue, but was closed in the late-1990’s, and demolished in 2000.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater