1 person favorited this theater
Located in the Sydney beachside suburb of Manly. The Rialto Theatre was located midway along the southern side of The Corso, the main street in town. It opened on 23rd July 1923 with John Barrymore in "Sherlock Holmes" and Wallace Beery in "Thirty Days". Seating was provided for 1,240, all on a single floor, and there were boxes located on the side-walls. The cinema boasted a sliding roof, which was opened on warm nights. It was independently operated by the Smythe family.
In 1933, the operators of the Rialto Theatre built and opened the Embassy Theatre across from Manly Wharf on East Esplanade. In the summer of 1933, the Rialto Theatre was remodeled in an Art Deco style, and a balcony was added, increasing the seating capacity to 1,422. The side boxes were removed.
Taken over by Acme Theatres in August 1943, they were a subsidiary of Greater Union Theatres. Greater Union Theatres took over in the Rialto Theatre and Embassy Theatre in October 1948.
On 3rd March 1951, the Rialto Theatre was re-named Odeon, and it continued until closing on 28th January 1961 with Doris Day in "Pillow Talk" and "Wild Heritage". The building was soon demolished and a shopping arcade named La Galerie was built. Rialto Lane, which ran alongside the theatre still exists today.
The Odeon name was transferred to the Embassy Theatre, on East Esplanade.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater