7 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in western Thames-side district of Teddington, Greater London. The New Savoy Super Cinema was built on the site of two cinemas, an earlier Savoy Cinema/former Picture House and the Elmfield Picture Hall, which were located at the corner of Teddington High Street and Elmfield Avenue.
Built for and operated by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) it was opened on 29th November 1937. Designed by ABC’s in-house architect W.R. Glen, it had a white stone facade in the centre, with red brick on each side. Inside the auditorium, there was a proscenium 45 feet wide, and a 13 feet deep stage, with two dressing rooms.
The Savoy Cinema was closed in February 1958 by ABC, as a protest against the Entertainment Tax which was consided a heavy duty at that time. After big protests, the Entertainment Tax was lifted and the Savoy Cinema was one of several ABC cinemas to re-open on 11th May 1958. It was a short reprive, as the Savoy Cinema was finally closed on 23rd March 1960 with Sid James in "Carry On Constable" and Joel Lawrence in "Road Racers".
It was demolished and an office block built for the Automobile Association was built on the site, now named Harlequin House.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater