22 Richmond Road,
Kingston upon Thames,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally built in the 1880’s as a church/mission hall, the first cinema in Kingston upon Thames was the Cinem Palace, opened by James Watt on 4th December 1909. It was located on Richmond Road at the corner of Canbury Park Road next to the Central Hall Rink and was occasionally advertised as Cinema Palace(Central Hall).
Seating was provided for 500 in the stalls and 100 in balcony level. It was described as ‘beautifully decorated, with tip-up seats giving a cosy refinement’. Music was provided by a single pianist playing high up on a platform near the screen.
The Cinem Palace briefly went over to talkies and its name was changed to Regal, however it closed in May 1931. It was demolished in June/July 1931 and the huge Regal Cinema was built by the County Cinemas chain on the site. The Regal Cinema’s foyer is the location of the former Cinem Palace.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater