16a High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Electroscope Theatre was opened on 24th March 1910. It became the Premier Electric Picture House in July 1916 and in August 1919, it was re-named Victory Picture Theatre.
In January 1931, it was re-named Plaza Cinema, and after an Art Deco style remodeling by architect Alistair MacDonald, it re-opened on 19th October 1936 as the Cinenews, operated by Capitol & Provincial News Theatres. Later re-named Vogue Cartoon & News Theatre, Capitol & Provincial News Theatres became the Classic Cinemas chain, and it had been re-named Vogue Cinema by 1946.
The Vogue Cinema began screning foreign language ‘sex’ films from January 1963, and it was closed on 6th February 1965 with Anna Karina in "Vivre sa Vie" and Robert Wagner in "A Sordid Affair".
It was converted into a Vogue Bingo Club and became a Mecca Bingo Club from 1974. It was closed as a bingo club in November 1976. It re-opened briefly as an Asian cinema screening ‘Bollywood’ films, but the building was demolished in 1981. Shops were built on the site, which in 1997 contained a branch of Mothercare.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater